Today`s World Mental Health Day, so I thought I`d share some advices which should be helpful when life gets tough and your head gets too much. I know very well that sometimes, your own mind can be “overwhelming”. It`s not always easy to “control” your own head and neither can you control life, but it`s possible, especially if you learn how to deal with your own emotions and obstacles coming your way, in a positive and prosperous way.
💘 Talk about what you`re facing, about the difficult thoughts and feelings you`re dealing with, with someone you trust. It could be a friend, someone in your family or your doctor. For some people it`s easier to rely on a stranger, who know nothing about you and might not judge you. In most cases you necessarily don`t have to meet that person ever again.
💘 Plan positive activites and accomplish them. Do something nice every day, it doesn`t have to be anything huge. Go out for a walk, read the book you`ve been so excited about, bake a cake or some lovely croissants, have a coffee with a friend, paint or write something, visit a library, have a pamper evening – be creative!
💘 Divide the problems into smaller bits, if they start getting too heavy to carry. Focus on one thing at a time and try to find a way to deal with them.
💘 Think of everything you`re good at and everything you can do, instead of everything you`re not good at or everything you`re not able to accomplish. Be positive!
💘You`re most likely the only person in the park who`s thinking of how your hair looks like or how your jacket`s not matching your shoes. WHO CARES? Other people barely notice these things and what so if they find you weird? You can`t please everyone. No, but really – other people don`t really care if your hair`s not exactly on point (I bet it is, it`s just your mind). Most people don`t even notice the flaws and mistakes we notice when it comes to ourselves. Go out with your head high and be proud of who you are. Don`t overthink. We tend to criticize and judge ourselves too much. I remember reading about this girl once, who thought her nose was too big. It was only after pointing that out to her friends, that they realised her nose was “big”, but even then they told her she looks completely fine. Whenever you start criticizing or judging yourself, ask yourself: would I say the same to someone else? To my best friend? To my mum, or my brother?
💘 Always remember you`re never alone, the lady sitting next to you on the bus is most likely facing some obstacles too. Someone before you has been through pretty much the same as you, and they did okay.
💘 Healthy eating habits, enough sleep and physical activity are important elements, when it comes to mental health.
💘Be your own best friend. Treat yourself the way you`d treat a friend.
💘 Everything will be alright.
What do you do, to take care of yourself and your own mind? Do you believe having a day like this, is important?
This is a post I wrote a while ago. Hopefully this will help someone out there.
1. You`ll never be able to please everyone in your life. I think even if you sometimes please a person, he or she will make fun of you, laugh at you and so on. I`ll never understand why, to be honest, but they say they do it out of jealousy. Once you understand you won`t ever be able to make everyone happy and satisfied by what you do, you`ll realise most opinions don`t matter. Also I wouldn`t recommend you to hang out with people who can`t be happy on your behalf. Just saying.
2. One of the things I started to do a little at Østmarka (the secondary school I went to) and even more when I joined high-school was to realise and understand that if someone in my life puts me down or makes me feel small, I owe it to myself to let them know that I expect something different from them. I deserve better. So, if someone doesn`t treat you the way you deserve, let them know it`s not okay at all. Don`t let them get away with it. D-O N-O-T.
3. Don`t automatically give in to the instant pay-off – it often means you`re selling yourself short. Treat yourself well and be your own very best friend! You might loose everyone else in your life but there`s a guarantee you`ll always have you and yourself.
4. Being confident doesn`t mean you do everything on your own – sometimes it also means asking someone else for help.
5. Do what you got to do, do what you believe is right, even if others mock or criticize you for it. Keep in mind you`ll never be able to please everyone anyways! 😉 What others think about you shouldn`t matter as long as you know what and who you are!
6. You need to know who you are. That`s your job, not anyone else`s. You have to work on yourself by yourself. If you don`t feel confident as a person, you don`t really feel like you have much of a personality that matters. If you don`t know who you are, you`re more likely to let others do the job. If you stand for nothing, you`ll fall for anything. If someone says you`re not worth anything, you might start to believe it. Also, believe in yourself. Believe that you matter and you are capable of doing great things. Personally I believe this one are among the most important ones.Y ou need to build yourself up that tall that if anyone tries to break you, they won`t succeed.
7. I`d like to believe body confidence is important too, but that`s not the most important part because your body isn`t your personality. What matters is your heart and your inside. Me saying you`re beautiful just the way you are and all that won`t help you, because it`s not like you`ve never been told that. IInstead, I`d like to tell you that you won`t be truly loved because of what you look like, but what you do. Their world won`t be your body, their world will be your love. And your love comes from your heart, not your body. You`ll be successful in your life not because of what you look like, but your confidence, you willing to create something. Your body is a piece of art, but it won`t do magic and art for you. You`ll have to do that magic and art by being you. Beauty isn`t about a pretty face, it`s about a pretty heart and a beautiful soul. Nothing can match a good heart.
Something more fathers should read and realize.
“I`m so scared, I don`t want you to die.”
“you`re acting like you`re the one dying”.